Making Your Time At Manchester Count

Stefanie Rekesius

Stefanie Rekesius

Welcome to Manchester, class of 2020! If you need help starting high school, this is the perfect article for you. This may help you adjust to being in a new school and help you make new friends. Don’t be afraid to ask for directions to a class or to anywhere in the school from an upperclassman, they will most likely be happy to help you out.

First, joining clubs is an easy way to meet new people, who may also share your interests. A few of the clubs here at Manchester are: Interact, Make A Difference, Book Club, Yearbook, Chess, and the brand new YPAR Club.  Some clubs have one or more field trips also have throughout the year. For example, the Interact Club goes to Camp Lebanon sometime during the school year to help fix things around the camp.

If sports are more your style, there are plenty of different teams for you to join. The sports at Manchester include: football, cheer-leading, boys/girls soccer, volleyball, boys/girls basketball, wrestling, winter/spring track, bowling, baseball, and softball.

Lastly, the Falcon’s Lounge is open throughout the school year if you need advice, counselling, or homework help. That’s not all that happens in the Falcons’ Lounge though, there are many events that take place there such as parties, tournaments, and movie nights. For instance, the Falcons’ Lounge showed a movie on September 16th for Suicide Prevention Week and free snacks were provided. The movie that was shown was A Girl Like Her, which is based on a million of true stories.

Don’t wait until senior year to join extracurricular activities to add to your application for college (if you plan on going). Colleges want students who participate in events/clubs/sports at their high school for most of their years there, not just their last one (they know that some people are just trying to make their applications look good by doing extracurricular activities in only their senior year).

Make your years at Manchester count, because they go by very fast. Good luck!

september-article-rekesius