Escape The Vape

Back to Article
Back to Article

Escape The Vape

Red ribbon week really shone a spotlight on how dreadful smoking cigarettes and smoking a Juul can be. When vaping was first introduced, it was seen as a way to help people quit smoking cigarettes; however, the CDC just released a statement in which they say, “As of 10/29/19, more than 1,600 people have come down with vaping-related illnesses, and at least 34 people have died.” If you continually abuse vapes and drugs, you may be the next victim of vaping.

Due to its white smoke, vapes can trick young adults into thinking it’s okay to vape. Also, by using lots of vape pen colors and nicotine juice flavors, the vape companies can disguise the fact that vaping is still a harmful thing to do. Some side effects of vaping are dry mouth, dizziness, coughing, dry skin, dry eyes, insomnia, nosebleeds, and more. Vaping is especially dangerous to young adults whose bodies haven’t fully developed or finished growing. A long term risk of vaping is a high probability of getting emphysema, a disease which makes it hard for you to even catch a breath and not let your body get the oxygen it needs. In 2019 American Heart Association has even said, ”E-cigarettes have been linked to thousands of cases of serious lung injury”. Students may think adults are being “extra” or hypersensitive about kids vaping, but the bottom line is that vaping is harmful to your health.

Are kids at MRHS vaping? Unfortunately, there are some kids who still think vaping is safe and cool to do. Luckily our MRHS Principal, Mr. Coviello, is passionate about the health and safety of his students. He has been making a huge impact on the war against vaping by keeping students aware of the negative effects of vaping. Last year, Mr. Coviello brought in a guest speaker to address the school as a whole and this year he supported Red Ribbon Week Circle Discussions by extending homeroom so that teachers and students could learn about and share information on vaping and substance abuse. 

The Falcon Flyer would like to remind everyone: If you or someone you know needs help quitting smoking and/or vaping, please reach out to our SAC, Ms. Mitchell, at [email protected]. You can also go to any trusted counselor or teacher you have for help.