The Big B.O.E

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Big B.O.E

boardMany people are aware of the fact that the Board of Education (BOE) is very involved in Manchester, but do they all know exactly what they do? In order to achieve more of an understanding of how the B.O.E. works and is involved in our school, we sat down with Manchester Regional High School’s Vice Principal Mr. Wacha, and Board President Mrs. Fischer, and asked for their input.

Mr. Wacha explains that Board of Education plays a significant role in creating change for our student body.  “Working with the board, my job is to administer policy and to recommend to the superintendent potential changes to our policy,” he states. One such change is the recent addition of in-class chromebook availability. This school year, there is now complete access to chromebooks for a majority of Manchester classes, thanks to board of education initiatives.   Mr. Wacha adds, “They set the foundation that we use to map out an educational plan for the students.” When the Board of Education meets, they continue to discuss changes like this one. Changes like this are centered around the students and how their education can be made more efficient.

For another take on the Board of Education’s involvement in our school, we also sat down with the President of the Board of Education, Mrs. Fischer.

Mrs. Fischer grew up in Prospect Park and graduated from Manchester Regional High School. She decided to run for the Board of Education because she wanted to contribute to our community.  She explains, “I like to volunteer because I want to give back to the town that I live in. To make where [I] live a better place”.

Mrs. Fischer is proud of the unity and community at Manchester Regional High School. She explains, “I encourage everybody to come to Manchester. We’re a family here. We offer great things.” She continues, “Manchester isn’t this ‘mega school’. You know everybody. Everybody knows everybody.”  

She contributes this sense of family to the teaching staff, “Teachers are consistent. They help the kids. I love that about the staff here.” She also acknowledges the incredible students, both past and present, who contribute to this inclusive culture. We have had so many students that came here and changed…changed the world. We’ve had former Olympians, mayors of the town, football players…”

Mrs. Fischer explains that the Board’s focus and dedication is to the students of Manchester, first and foremost. She explains, “We spend every dollar wisely. We spend every dollar for the kids. We make decisions– students first and then faculty”. Mrs. Fischer explains how the Board is works to ensure the best educational experience for Manchester students, ““Basically a board makes sure that the school is run well. The superintendent and principal run the school. We make sure we follow policy and the school is run well.”  She adds, “We may communicate what community members are asking for, and we’ll bring it to the superintendent’s attention.”

Mrs. Fischer’s goal is to share the incredible experiences and opportunities available to Manchester students. She explains, “I invite people all the time. Come in and see us. I ask parents from any of the communities, come on in. Make an appointment. See the school.” She adds, “ Manchester is a great school so [I] keep going along the path of trying to bring people into the school– bring more students here. Show them that Manchester is the right place for their children to be. Show them that this is the place to come, and I’m going to do that.”