Aspired to Inspire

Mrs. Petrillo

Danya Abzagh

Mrs. Petrillo

Danya Abzagh, Editor

Mrs. Petrillo

Danya Abzagh
Mrs. Petrillo

During her time as a student at Manchester Regional High School, Mrs. Petrillo was first inspired to become a science teacher after taking Mrs. Russo’s Medical Science and Anatomy Physiology classes.

Now as a Biology teacher, she hopes to inspire her students to love science in the same way she was.

She’s a very animated and energetic person, and she shows her love for science with the hope it will rub off on her students. Mrs. Petrillo  intrigues her students by changing her instructional style and presentation every day.  Also, she puts her students into groups, which allows them to discuss ideas together, as well as work together on hands-on lessons such as experiments. Mrs. Petrillo arranges her lessons requiring students to think for themselves, as opposed to Mrs. Petrillo telling them what and how they’re going to learn it.

I asked Mrs. Petrillo what the best part about her job is and her reply was, “My students! [Especially] when they have that lightbulb moment and finally get something and can never forget it. I also like my content and what I do.”

As a teacher and coach, Mrs. Petrillo has impacted students in many ways.  “Some students are athletes and I impacted them in the classroom and also on the field.  Some students are getting jobs in the science field, when they used to hate science. I inspired them to continue with science in college,” says Mrs. Petrillo.
Making learning a fun, thoughtful experience is always Mrs. Petrillo’s goal in the classroom.