Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

My Hispanic Role Model: My Mother

My Hispanic Role Model: My Mother

As much as anybody can become a role model to anyone, especially on Hispanic Heritage Month, I’ve decided to do it for my mother because she has taught me so many things that i have experienced. My mom is called Beatriz, she loves cooking and one thing about her is she has tons of communications skills. She always makes sure to see if her kids are alright or if they need anything. 

Hispanic people are very hard working people when it comes to work, and Hispanic heritage month appreciates them for what they do for a living and what they sacrificed. My mom has sacrificed things in her life as she grew older, one of them is not going to high school and started working at 14 to help provide for her parents along with her brothers and sisters. She sacrificed herself to come here and start a new life with the  family she created and leave her past life in El Salvador. Although we came to this country 11 years ago and she got married at 19. She has grown so much, she has defended herself from people whose body shamed her. She still is with my father and their relationship grows every single day. Growing up in a poor country has affected us in a good way because we appreciate everything we get and what we do.

She grew up with not a lot of money in her hands, she works hard at her job and she lets people know that she can do that job even if she can’t speak English. One thing about Hispanics is that even if we can’t speak English, we will always try to help others around us and that’s exactly what my mom does. At work, if there isn’t a person next to her, she always tries to talk and figure out what they want to get and at the end of the day, she always pleases the customer on finding what they need.

The reason why I picked her isn’t because of the way she is, I picked her because of the women she has become throughout the years. The way she supports people and the way she works hard no matter if she is feeling down. She always tells me “yesly be respectful to those around you, even if they hit a nerve, it’s better to just be quiet sometimes”. To be honest, I have a good relationship with her. She’s my best friend. She’s someone that if I tell her something about me, she’ll support me and give me advice on it. She tells me “If you ever get body shamed because of the way your body is, sometimes it’s okay to stand up for yourself and tell them something they don’t like so they can leave you alone and not body shame you again.”.

My mom is my role model because not only do I appreciate how hardworking she is, she always tends to help people who are in need of help. With her passion for cooking, she always loves cooking Tamales or Pupusas for people to eat. With her sacrifice that every Hispanic has done, she has definitely become the person who she is because of her mistakes, her achievements and her passions to do work and help people and that is what defines her a role model to me and other people. Even if she isn’t a singer or a celebrity, she definitely has earned the title “Role Model” from me.