Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Fit4Basic Comes to MRHS

Manchester Regional High School is participating in a new program that will give students even more opportunities to reach their full potential. The program is called Fit4Basic and it gives students the choice to take their potential medical career to the next level. The program, run by the school’s guidance counselors, Ms. Rodriguez, Mr.Chambers, and Mr. Criscera, provides courses for high school students to earn three medical licenses to become an EKG Technician, Phlebotomist, or Certified Medical Assistant. There are currently 28 MRHS students participating in this program which meets in the Innovation Center 5 nights per week from 5:30pm-8:30pm. Due to the scope of this particular program, it will be on going through June.

The Fit4Basic website gives detailed descriptions of the program’s majors. “The Electrocardiograph (EKG) program shall include, at a minimum (100) clock hours of instruction. EKG Technician will able to identify the major internal and external structures of the heart; describe the major functions of the cardiovascular system, and identify the five types of blood vessels.” With this major, students will be able to earn the entry-level skills of a Certified Electrocardiograph technician and will qualify for positions in a variety of healthcare facilities.

“The Phlebotomy Certificate program shall include, at a minimum (100) clock hours of instruction. A phlebotomy technician draws quality blood samples from patients or blood donors and prepares those specimens for medical testing.” With this license, graduates will have “the entry-level skills of a Certified Phlebotomy technician and be qualified to interview for positions in a variety of healthcare facilities.”

“The Certified Medical Assistant is a multi-skilled allied healthcare professional that specializes in procedures commonly performed in the ambulatory healthcare setting. Medical assistants perform both clinical and administrative duties and assist a variety of providers, including physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants. Medical assistants typically work in medical offices, clinics, and urgent care centers and may work in general medicine or specialty practices.”

All the 28 students who are currently participating in the Fit4Basic Program will be able to take the national certification exams for those 3 careers through the school.

The students at MRHS had been asking for a program like this one and Mr. Coviello listened and now is making their dreams come true! Students are excited to take this amazing opportunity to the next level. One student enrolled in the program said, “This program is really good, honestly, we are learning little by little. I’m trying to get all 3 licenses and with God’s help, I hope it comes true.”