Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

Manchester Regional High School

Falcon Flyer

The History of Proms

Proms, short for promenades, have been a beloved tradition for high school students for many years. But have you ever wondered how proms started?

The concept of proms can be traced back to the late 19th century when colleges and universities in the United States began hosting events known as “promenades” for their graduating classes. These events were formal dances held to celebrate the students’ academic achievements and to bid farewell to their time at school.

The idea of proms then made its way to high schools in the early 20th century. Initially, proms were simple affairs held in school gymnasiums or halls, with students attending in their Sunday best. As time passed, proms became more elaborate, with the introduction of formal dresses and tuxedos, fancy decorations, and even themed events.

One interesting tradition that emerged with proms is the crowning of a prom king and queen. This practice is believed to have originated in the 1930s and continues to be a highlight of many prom nights.

Today, proms are not just about dancing and socializing. They have become rites of passage for high school students, marking the end of one chapter of their lives and the beginning of a new one. Proms are a time for students to create lasting memories with their friends and celebrate their accomplishments together.

So, the next time you attend a prom, take a moment to appreciate the history and tradition behind this special event that has been cherished by generations of students before you.