Groundbreaking for MRHS Turf Field

At 4:00 pm on November 1st, 2021, the dream of having a turf field at Manchester Regional High School finally became a reality during the official Ground Breaking Ceremony. Ready with shovels in hand, Gary Lubisco, Jr., Superintendent, Valdo Panzera, Board President, Hillton Gonzalez, Vice President, Patrick DeMarco, Trustee, Liliana Baez, Trustee and Ralph Barca, Board member literally broke through the ground and the MRHS Community took one step closer toward having the turf field they have been wanting.

The $1.85 million project, which was approved back in April of 2021, will transform Giacin field into a 21st Century athletic facility complete with stadium style lights for night games and events. The successful journey from grass to turf was a collaborative effort involving the MRHS Board of Education, Administration, Community, and Di Cara | Rubino Architects, the firm tasked with designing and creating the field.

While the project will most directly impact the MRHS physical education classes and athlete’s practice and play, it will also boost pride in the school among its students, families, and staff. Furthermore, the synthetic turf will stop the large Canadian goose population from soiling the area which is used for physical education classes as well as team sports. Finally, it is thought that the impressive turf field will be a draw for students who are trying to choose between attending MRHS or PCTI.

In a student driven survey that asked about projects the student body would like to see completed, a new turf field was at the tops of their lists. Students are also hopeful that the synthetic field, which will resist wear and tear better than grass, will open the doors to adding more sports to the MRHS program.

If all goes smoothly, the construction of the new field will be completed by the end of the month. Be sure to stop by and watch the transformation!